Sunday, February 8, 2009

What a wonderful 40th birthday!!!

Yesterday was my 40th birthday! ...yes, the BIG 4-0! And I had a lovely weekend planned... I took the day off (I usually work Saturday mornings). I was picked up at noon by two of my best friends, Nancy and Melissa, to go to the spa for some pampering time. I knew I had to be home in time to dress up to go to dinner with Scott at a surprise location and pack a bag for an overnight somewhere. He was so excited about the surprise that he had in store for me on Sunday. Now on a little side note: we'd been talking about having a big party, b/c I wanted to celebrate this milestone birthday. We looked into a few places, themes, our schedules and our budget, and decided that new carpets were more important than the party...mostly b/c I just couldn't come up with a theme or place that I liked. So Scott had planned a special, surprise getaway for the two of us...or so I thought!

The spa experience was just lovely... a relaxing massage and pedicure. While I was getting my massage I told the guy not to do my head b/c I had already done my hair for the evening. Well, he replied that with every massage they give a free hair wash and blow dry (because it's hard to do a massage and not ruin someone's hair!) Hmmm? Really?? Well, he talked me into it and the girls encouraged it, so I did it. Cool. A free styling. Yes, I fell for it and was totally oblivious to what should have been clue number one. The girls had to buy some time so Scott and the others could finish getting things ready at our house!

Now, as we arrived home I fell into another trap (and didn't give it a second thought) ...both girls were going to come in the house with me so I could show them an album that I'd received as a wedding gift...not sure how we started talking about that?! I didn't bring my keys with me b/c my friends were driving so as they walked toward the front door I punched in the code to open the garage door...we almost never use the front door! They start yelling at me to come to the front door. That Scott is already there. Well, I already had the door up so I said that I'd meet them inside. I keep my coat by this door! Nancy yells "NO! He has something for you!" So I turned around and went to the front door (still oblivious btw!) I saw colors behind our frosted side-of-the-door windows so I thought that he'd gotten me balloons. Awweee, how cute is he?...(more like how slow was I!!) Somehow the girls get me to go to the door first. Scott opens it and everyone yells "SURPRISE!!" I could not have been more shocked!! It was a perfect surprise!! On a funny side note and another thing that should have given it away: When I was starting to go in through the garage Scott tried to get everyone over by that door and then all of a sudden I turn back so they all had to go back to the front door. My father could not believe that I didn't hear the noise of everyone running back and forth..."it was like a herd of moose!"


In addition to having my hubby and everyone go above and beyond for this party there were a couple other highlights. Scott had everyone write a favorite memory of me on a 3x5 card and had them hanging from balloons in the family room. It was very touching to see what some people wrote about me. Then there was Nancy's powerpoint movie with bullets and pictures from my life...it was amazing!!

I am overwhelmed at how much work Scott, my friends and my family did to pull this off!! It was a wonderful 40th birthday!!! I am so grateful for the amazing people I have in my life!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Awwww. :-)

He is a keeper, Karen. That sounds like a perfect party!

Happy 40th, my beautiful friend!